Currently, individuals with visual disabilities often face challenges in participating in waste segregation due to the use of color-coded garbage bins for disposal. This system poses limitations for individuals with visual disabilities or impairments.This Participatory Workshop Research on the Innovative Design of Garbage Bins for Waste Segregation for All. For the matter, the petty patent under the name “Waste Sorting System with Voice” was obtained as stated in the Patent Number 17547, and issued on 29th March, 2021.
The objectives of the project are
1) to discover behaviors and problems about waste disposal especially waste sorting among persons with disabilities,
2) to design innovative garbage bins for waste segregation for all, and 3) to explore the satisfaction and behavior changes resulting from the use of these innovative bins for inclusive waste segregation. The benefits of the project are 1) to have the innovative garbage bins for waste segregation for all in which visually impaired persons can also use, 2) to receive fundamental information about behaviors and problems about waste disposal especially waste sorting among visually impaired persons,
3) to promote awareness about waste segregation among visually impaired persons,
4) to increase awareness among general people towards waste segregation and to promote visually impaired persons as exemplary people,
5) to increase chances for visually impaired persons to participate in social improvement as equally as other general members of the society, and
6) to publish the research result in either national or international academic journals.
The project aims to significantly reduce inequality in society by enabling individuals with disabilities to participate in social improvement on an equal footing with others, in line with Sustainable Development Goal #10, which focuses on reducing inequalities within and across countries and the principle of "Leaving No One Behind.", Goal #9 Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure, Goal #12 Responsible Consumption and Production, Goal #13 Climate Action and Goal #17 Partnership for the Goals.